POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : Re: assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma
From: gonzo
Date: 30 May 2003 16:55:01
Message: <web.3ed7c4b130667e18a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:
>I still don't understand how I should use assumed_gamma.  I've read the
>documentation and it seems to conflict with itself.
>
>"For PC systems, the most common display gamma is 2.2, while for scenes
>created on Macintosh systems should use a scene gamma of 1.8. Another gamma
>value that sometimes occurs in scenes is 1.0."
>
>then later it says:
>
>"For new scenes, you should use an assumed gamma value of 1.0 as this models
>how light appears in the real world more realistically."
>
>So is there a preferred setting?  I've noticed that with assumed_gamma 1.0,
>I end up having textures with extremely low rgb values (< 0.1), just to get
>the texture dark enough.  I've also noticed that the T_Wood textures
>generally look really bad at assumed_gamma 1.0 under most lighting
>conditions.
>
>I've been using higher values recently (around 2.0).  Does that mean that
>light is not modelled realistically?

Join the club!
My own (mis)understanding is that an assumed_gamma of 1 should be correct
PROVIDED your display_gamma setting is set correctly for your monitor.

If I use the test scene to determine my monitor's gamma setting it usually
comes up with around 1.8-1.9, but when I set display_gamma to that all my
textures are too light. I end up with an assumed_gamma somewhere between
1.25 & 1.5 when everything looks right.

If I use neither assumed_gamma or display_gamma the result is roughly the
same as no display_gamma and an assumed_gamma of 2.2. (I really have no
idea what that means, but assume it means my monitor is probably about
average...)

Despite reading numerous postings on this subject I still haven't figured
out how it's supposed to work. Meanwhile, I've been using whatever works
for the specific scene...:-/

RG - and despite Douglas Adams' take on the subject, assumed_gamma 42 didn't
work

P.S. To further complicate things, some finish modifiers seem to be affected
more than the actual color. Brilliance in particular is dramatically
affected by changing assumed_gamma.