POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline identifiers : Re: Spline identifiers Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline identifiers
From: LibraryMan
Date: 28 May 2003 11:45:02
Message: <web.3ed4d89fa160507a738e706a0@news.povray.org>
Hughes, B. wrote:

>So... think of 0 to 1 being a range used for the default clock in
>animations, or for simplicity's sake. The -0.25 and 1.25 are there for the
>control points needed by cubic_spline (less than 0 and greater than 1 not
>included in the spline for end result). However, any incremental values can
>be used, not just the usual "clock" range. 0 to 255 for example, to be used
>in color_map, etc., and then divided by 255 to get 0 to 1 again. Any value
>should be okay, within reason I suppose.

>Bob H.

Well, if it had been specified from the outset that the example spline
identifier was to be used in an animation, that may have helped clarify
matters a bit.  I was *suspecting* the 0.25-incremented values had
something to do with animation clocking, but it didn't say so, and I
haven't ventured into animation just yet, so I wouldn't have necessarily
recognized the difference.

I suppose I *am* being dense about what the -0.25 and 1.25 values have to do
with control points of a cubic_spline; I mean, the 3-D vectors are already
specified, and the spline type could be changed to sommething else and
POVRay should know what to do in whichever case...