POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Prisms with conic sweeps and unpredictable results : Prisms with conic sweeps and unpredictable results Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Prisms with conic sweeps and unpredictable results
From: LibraryMan
Date: 28 May 2003 11:35:02
Message: <web.3ed4d625db845e66738e706a0@news.povray.org>
I guess I'm just having difficulty understanding how to achieve predictable
results with a conically swept prism object in my scene.  I specifically
want the object to have the "ziggurat" type flattened top.  Given such a
prism declaration, (lifted almost wholecloth out of the docs)
  prism {
    conic_sweep
    linear_spline
    0.85, // height 1
    1, // height 2
    5, // the number of points making up the shape...
    rotate <180, 0, 0>  //(yes, I get this part)
    translate <0, X?, 0>
    scale <1, 4, 1>
    pigment { gradient y scale .2 }
  }

How much should the object get translated downward for its base to be at
y=0? And would scaling the object along y affect where its base lay?