POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange behaviour with image map : Strange behaviour with image map Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Strange behaviour with image map
From: Steely
Date: 19 May 2003 11:45:07
Message: <web.3ec8fb1051d9091d973298eb0@news.povray.org>
Hello to all!

I am experiencing a very strange behaviour placing an image map
on a sphere. This produces two questions in one: first, why the .gif for the
imape map behaves so strange? and second, why behaves the image map itself
so strange?

To better explain what the problem exactly looks like I have uploaded the
pictures and you can see them at

http://steeltown.piranho.com/robert.html

The first thing is that I have a gif-image with black background, set
to transparent with PicturePublisher. When I use the image as

take the same image with white background and set filter to white -
than it works.

The second thing is that i have set the image map "once", but it
appears two times on the surface. It *should* be only on the rear side (on
the neck) but as you can see it appears also on the left side.

The head itself is nothing special, a simple sphere with layered textures.
All the
other parts are #declare(d) or #include(d) objects and then put together in
a union.
// ---------------------------------------------
        sphere { 0.0, 0.2
                texture {
                        pigment {color SeaGreen}
                        finish{
                                diffuse 0.3
                                ambient 0.0
                                specular 0.6
                                reflection { 0.3 metallic }
                                conserve_energy
                                }
                        }
                texture { pigment{ image_map
                        {gif "triplerot.gif" once filter 0, 1.0 }}
                       scale 0.095 scale 1.5*x rotate 202.5*y rotate 50*x }
  rotate -120*y              }

am still a beginner I guess it is my code causing this. On the other
hand - I have done all exactly like described in the tutorial *and* it
is not my first image map, but the first time I get results like this.

Any comment or idea is welcome

Thanks

R.