POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : metallic paint include file : Re: metallic paint include file Server Time
17 May 2024 01:49:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: metallic paint include file
From: Kitsune e
Date: 13 May 2003 19:05:06
Message: <web.3ec178e07a9ffbee9e46361d0@news.povray.org>
Andreas Kreisig wrote:

>Hm, interesting, but to be honest I don't understand why this is necessary.
>POV-Ray has already a metalic statement wich you can use to achieve a
>metalic paint effect, no?

No, the metallic keyword in the finish statment changes the way reflection
acts.  Namely it tints all light from the reflection the color of the
object.  If you created a finish statement which said only finish{metalic
on} you object would look no more metallic then a piece of clay.

This is very neat though, it has all parameters already set for creating a
metallic paint effect.  it has all the finish statments setup so that you
can control the metallicness(?) of your finish with the second parameter of
the macro, and also it pulls a neat trick with layering textures to put a
high gloss finsh over the whole texture.  this macro just saves you the
trouble of figuring out all the settings yourself.