POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16 bit image map pattern not working with isosurface : Re: 16 bit image map pattern not working with isosurface Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16 bit image map pattern not working with isosurface
From: Abe
Date: 1 May 2003 19:45:08
Message: <web.3eb1b01c2a9b1139f7846a350@news.povray.org>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
>Using the following code...
>
>#declare pigment_foo = function {
>        pigment {
>                image_map {
>                        png "gray16.png"
>                        interpolate 2
>                }
>
>isosurface {
>        function {
>                ... prigment_foo(x,y,z).gray ...
>        }
>
>....it turns out that the resulting isosurface only uses the
>high 8 bit of the image_map although the image map source is
>a 16 bit grayscale PNG.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or
>is there a way to get native support for 16 bit or
>is it unavoidable that I fall back to using two 8-bit PNG-based
>  pigments (one for MSB one for LSB) ?
>
>Wolfgang

Hi,

I busted my head over this one too for a while. I ended up using TGA's of
the 16-bit-for-height_field flavor and extracting the MSB and LSB by

function{pigment_foo(x,y,z).red+pigment_foo(x,y,z).green/256}

which is probably where you are almost at anyway.
By the way, check out http://3dgallery.dhs.org/tutorials/iso_tutor.html if
you haven't already.

--
Abe