POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parsing a data set : Re: Parsing a data set Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:09:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing a data set
From: oliWood
Date: 29 Mar 2003 14:20:17
Message: <web.3e85f1cceb11af84b0be54280@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
>I don't know what you're actually after here. Reading
>the data? And can you modify the way in which the
>data is written? If you're working from within POV with
>POV-script, reading and writing could be done with
>my IO-Macros, but aside of that, I don't know how I
>could help.

Sorry - I didnt make myself very clear (having read it back).

Im using a Java program to generate my data, and thus can easily alter
how/what im outputting.
Basically at the minute im outputting a single long text file where each row
holds the x and y coords of a fish and it's orientation (rotated around the
Z axis - right-hand- coord sys).
Between each of the "frames" of data theres a * e.g. theres a 100 lines of
coords etc then a * and then another 100 lines.

If i could read this file in with a bit of POV script and then use the Clock
to cycle through the datasets to place 100 fish for each frame that would
be great.  Failing that i can use Perl to split the file into a heap of
seperate ones , eg. one for each frame, and then somehow read a different
file in for frame of the animation (use the clock vlaue to pick a file name
possibly?)

Hope that clears the fog,

oli