POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to render a "volume" function? : How to render a "volume" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  How to render a "volume" function?
From: Kronix
Date: 6 Mar 2003 10:35:04
Message: <web.3e6769be91ba9208dcafb91b0@news.povray.org>
I'm a bit puzzled by something I think should be quite simple.  I have a
knack for making things more complex than they need be...

I have a particular function I'd like to use to fill a cylinder with a
'volume' pattern.  I seem to be able to assign a function pattern to the
surface of an object, but where in the documentation does it discuss
applying a user-defined function to, say, media?

For example, say I have a simple 1/r potential, and I wanted to plot it as a
function of my cylinder's radius.  I could use a simple black-to-white
gradient pigment, and apply this function.  It seems to work fine on the
surface of a cylinder, but my current workaround is to plot a LOT of
cylinders at various radii with transparent colors to see the effect I'm
looking for.  It would be much easier to apply a 'volume' pattern... er, I
think.

Any suggestions?

- Kronix