POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : [REQUEST]Java API for getting status information searched : Re: [REQUEST]Java API for getting status information searched Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:10:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [REQUEST]Java API for getting status information searched
From: norbert
Date: 19 Feb 2003 06:45:04
Message: <web.3e536da7dc2bf26d868f9cbb0@news.povray.org>
Hello Andrew,

>I will say that spawning a process in Java with Runtime.exec() is not the
>best way to run POV-Ray.  It seemed to slow down POV-Ray.  Also, there's no
>way to have POV run more renders without exiting and reopening.  So for
>animations you're wasting time opening POV for each frame.  Also the splash
>screen apears every time, so running on a machine where other people are
>working can become very annoying, since the splash screen comes to the front
>every time.

Yes, I want to call the povray rendering from within a java process.
Under Linux it is very easy, because there is already a command line
version.
But with windows there isn't / wasn't.

>There is a Java API that's part of QuietPOV
>(http://www://www.dreampeach.com/QuietPOV.  I didn't explicitly publish how it
>works, since no one showed much interest in it.  I have hooks built in to
>get the status info (i.e. 75% rendered), but I'm actually recalculating them
>myself, since GUI Extensions do not have access to this information.
>If you're interested I can publish the java classes you'll needed, if not,
>good luck.

If there aren't any special things I have to know, I'll try it with the java
API.
But perhaps you can give me a short description how to use it.

And thanks a lot
norbert