POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trees shadows : Re: Trees shadows Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trees shadows
From: gonzo
Date: 7 Feb 2003 16:35:03
Message: <web.3e44265c968f797ba0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:
>Are you essentially saying "make them 2D transparencies"?  I've considered
>that, but I'm not sure how the results would look.  It would be easy enough
>for the shadows, but harder for the reflections since I would have to figure
>out how to best rotate it.

>"ingo" <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>news:Xns### [at] povrayorg...
>>
>> Use transparent boxes with images of treer mapped on them.

Thats how I did the kelp in
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-10-31/cathe_rg.jpg

In your case, since the trees aren't actually in the image, render an image
of several trees arranged the way you want them and use one large box that
runs the length of the scene on the side you need the reflections from (or
both sides and behind the camera if you need reflections from all angles).

Added advantage; you can also then control the the brightness of your
reflections and/or how the trees influence radiosity by changing the
ambient & diffuse setting on your image map.

RG