POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color problem with image maps : Re: Color problem with image maps Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color problem with image maps
From: gonzo
Date: 7 Feb 2003 14:15:10
Message: <web.3e440500c25eeb4ba0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Exether wrote:
>I noticed recently that the color I get with an image map is not exactly
>what I expected. So I did a few tests with the following (with a basic
>camera and light) :
>Where img_col.png is a uniform image of the <112,57,57> color (#703939) made
>with GIMP. What I see is that the mapped sphere is darker when I expected
>it to be the same. Then I try to get the same color by changing the first
>sphere's color to 0.5*<112,57,57>/255 so that they are about the same
>brightness. But then the mapped sphere seems to be more Red that the other
>one.

Does GIMP have a gamma setting?  When I was creating a background with image
maps made with Terragen I had the same problem, they didn't look the same
in POV.  Then I found Terragen's default gamma setting was 1.5 and I had
POV set to 1.  After I compromised and set them both to 1.275 everything
looked right.

RG