POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : parametric: error: float factor expected but function found instead. : Re: parametric: error: float factor expected but function found Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: parametric: error: float factor expected but function found
From: Liam
Date: 31 Jan 2003 22:15:04
Message: <web.3e3b3b3c273004143b54632b0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <web.3e3472c9207607823b54632b0[at]news.povray.org> , "Liam"
><lnp### [at] healywashingtondcus> wrote:
>
>> I'm not really clear on the syntax, so I've tried variations, but I always
>> get this message.  I've tried a couple examples posted in the povray
>> newsgroups, and they also gave me this message.  I am using povray
>> 3.0.20-10 in Debian Woody (i386).  Any clues?  Can someone post a complete
>> (reasonably short) working file with a parametric object usage?
>
>The version of POV-Ray included in Debian is completely outdated (by about
>half a decade).  Even worse, it isn't even an official version but some kind
>of patched version.

.... and even worse, it's apparently broken.

>To run any current POV-Ray scene you will need either POV-Ray 3.1 or POV-Ray
>3.5 which are available from www.povray.org .

and this is the solution, v 3.5 from the povray site works fine.  I finally
hit upon trying this version shortly after posting my original query.
What's really interesting to me is this question has never come up before
(google and google groups draw a blank).  That tells me nobody uses the
Debian version, at least for parametric objects.

>    Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten.