POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : parametric: error: float factor expected but function found instead. : parametric: error: float factor expected but function found instead. Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  parametric: error: float factor expected but function found instead.
From: Liam
Date: 26 Jan 2003 18:50:03
Message: <web.3e3472c9207607823b54632b0@news.povray.org>
Whenever I try to use a parametric object I get an error message
"float factor expected but function found instead."
For instance, if I use the example from the manual (sec 6.5.5) to
draw a sphere,

  parametric {
    function { sin(u)*cos(v) }
    function { sin(u)*sin(v) }
    function { cos(u) }

    <0,0>, <2*pi,pi>
    contained_by { sphere{0, 1.1} }
    max_gradient ??
    accuracy 0.0001
    precompute 10 x,y,z
    pigment {rgb 1}
  }

Parsing...  parametric {
    function { sin(u)*cos(v) }
    function  <----ERROR

parametric-sphere.pov:3: error: float factor expected but function found
instead.

I'm not really clear on the syntax, so I've tried variations, but I always
get this message.  I've tried a couple examples posted in the povray
newsgroups, and they also gave me this message.  I am using povray
3.0.20-10 in Debian Woody (i386).  Any clues?  Can someone post a complete
(reasonably short) working file with a parametric object usage?

Thanks for any help.
Liam