POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Black artifacts when rendering isosurfaces : Black artifacts when rendering isosurfaces Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Black artifacts when rendering isosurfaces
From: Raymond
Date: 16 Jan 2003 18:50:03
Message: <web.3e274424fd4d5f76802871ed0@news.povray.org>
I have a very simple isosurface described by the following POV code:

isosurface {
        function {y - sin(x)}
 threshold 0

 open

 contained_by {sphere {<0, 0, 0>, 4}}

 texture {
  pigment {color rgb < 1, 0.9, 0.65>}
  finish {
   brilliance 1.6
   specular 0.3
  }
}

It is essentially a round disk with sinusoidal waves in it.

However, when viewed from different angles the surface, instead of being s
smooth surface, it often has many black pixels and curved black lines
rendered across the surface.

I have tried rendering with AA on (which reduces their appearance a little)
and by setting much higher accuracies for the isosurface (which also
reduces the effect, but does not remove it).

Can anyone tell me if this is a known issue with isosurfaces? It seems to me
this particular case is a very simple surface and should not present the
renderer with significant problems.

I am using the POV 3.5 final release binaries.

Cheers,

Raymond.