POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only rendering part of a frame : Re: Only rendering part of a frame Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only rendering part of a frame
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Dec 2002 20:40:02
Message: <web.3e0d0075d2a34a27d655a8f0@news.povray.org>
Jared wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I have a curious graphic whose render will result in a frame which is
>symetrical left and right. The complicated lighting and reflections I
>employed make a 7 hour render not unacceptable, but surely unwanted. If I
>could just render half and then duplicate it and flip it, I could save 4.5
>hours. But I seem to devise a method of doing so. My rotating the camera to
>only view half, I change the focal point and the perspectives all shift. I
>am failing to summon the technical terms to describe this phenomena, but
>for those of you who understand what I am speaking of and perhaps how to
>leave my camera in place, while only rendering part of the frame, I would
>appreciate any advice you could offer.

I am not sure if it solves your problem,
but if you use POV-Ray for Windows, you
can start a rendering and then stop it.
Then you can just select a region in the
rendering window with the mouse. POV-Ray
will then render this region only.

IIRC you can also give POV-Ray command
line options to achieve the same, but I
have not done this. (So you may want to