POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!! : Re: Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!!
From: gonzo
Date: 19 Dec 2002 15:55:09
Message: <web.3e02304d2a8640e6d843c24b0@news.povray.org>
LibraryMan wrote:
>Sounds like you and I are in about the same place on the POV vs.
>math-I-never-thought-I'd-use-so-I-didn't-pay-attention learning curve.
>Just try & tackle isosurfaces! <g>

Heh heh, yeah I took a quick look at isosurfaces... the bruises are mostly
healed and my therapist says the twitch will be gone in another week or
so...

Jellby wrote:
>Well, a vector is not just a point. You can think of vectors as of arrows,
>they have both length and direction. But if you know where the tail of the
>arrow is, then the head of the arrow gives you a point in space; when it's
>not specified otherwise, the tail is at the origin (the point <0,0,0>), so
>a vector is an arrow with length and direction, but it's a point too.

Ah, thanks, that's a helpful visualization.

And thanks ABX, for the mathworld links.  A LOT of info there! Probably
mostly over my head at this point but I can see it as a site that will be
more useful over time.

RG - finagle's 1st law: the perversity of the universe tends towards the
maximum