POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!! : Re: Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vector functions AAARRRRGGHH!!!!!
From: gonzo
Date: 19 Dec 2002 13:25:04
Message: <web.3e020de32a8640e6d843c24b0@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

>Perhaps the way to go here would be one at a time. If you post the function
>with which you are having the most trouble, then someone can give you a less
>overwhelming explanation. Try looking at the PoV code for the various vector
>macros as well.
>
> -Shay

Well, here's a good mouthful...
vcross(A,B) Cross product of A and B. Returns a vector that is the vector
cross product of the two vectors. The resulting vector is perpendicular to
the two original vectors and its length is equal to the area of the
parallelogram defined by them. Or to put in an other way, the cross product
can also be formulated as: AxB = |A| * |B| * sin(angle(A,B)) *
perpendicular_unit_vector(A,B) So the length of the resulting vector is
proportional to the sine of the angle between A and B.

1. what's a cross product?
2. what's a parallelogram?
3. AxB = |A| * |B| * sin(angle(A,B)) * perpendicular_unit_vector(A,B)????
4. what's a sine?
5. If a vector is just point in space, how can it have length & direction?

>Jellby wrote:
>Well, I learnt trigonometry in the high school, where everyone had to learn
> it: artist as well as mathematicians ;)
>
> You could start here:
> http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/trig/ (uses java)

Thanks, this looks helpful.

RG - like I said, NO math backgound. When I went to high school, trig hadn't
been invented yet, and algebra was something they warned you about if you
*might* go on to college (and only then if you were a math or physics
major, computers hadn't been invented yet either).