POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : transparency and media : Re: transparency and media Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparency and media
From: Renderdog
Date: 19 Dec 2002 09:50:03
Message: <web.3e01dc718a77e58d123e4a6e0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote:

>Christopher James Huff wrote:
>>
>> If it is coincident with or intersects the surface, sometimes it will
>> get hit first and the transmitted ray will miss the other surface, so
>> you see the interior of the second object through the transparent one.
>> Since the interior is in shadow, it is dark.
>>
>> The only way to avoid this in the intersecting surface case would be to
>> change the way POV handles non-refracting transparency.
>
>Or he may need to increase the max_trace_level in the global settings block
>a bit.

My first suspect was max_trace_level, but increasing it didn't help. Looks
like I'll have to keep my objects away from the wall or not use transparency
and mask off the non-leaf parts.

Since the wall is an isosurface, perhaps increasing the accuracy would help,
or (if it's an option) maybe making the wall shadowless.

Thanks Christopher and Ken for your help.