POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Round box edge : Re: Round box edge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round box edge
From: Arlon Meisner
Date: 9 Dec 2002 21:40:03
Message: <web.3df553866a56a85570499b5a0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3df51889472923f770499b5a0[at]news.povray.org>,
> "Arlon Meisner" <ame### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>
>> I want to round over an edge of a box. I have tried the "Round_Box_* " macro
>> but it rounds all edges. The z box-edge length is less then x and y. The z
>> box-edges are those that I want rounded to a given radius.
>
>Do it the same way the macros do it, with CSG. If you only want the
>edges along the z axis rounded, a union of 2 boxes and 4 cylinders
>should be sufficient.

I don't understand how a union of these objects will remove the sharp corner
that lies along the z axis. It seems to me that a union will simply result
in two (why two?) boxes with 4 cylinders (lying along the z axis) simply
buried in the boxes. An explanation would certainly help this newbie.
Thanks.