POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on creating better textures : Re: Advice on creating better textures Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice on creating better textures
From: Renderdog
Date: 22 Nov 2002 16:35:05
Message: <web.3ddea16dcd08d04ef58667690@news.povray.org>
princeofgonville wrote:

>Can anyone give some hints on how they go about creating realistic-looking
>textures? I'd like to do something like rusty steel peeping out beneath
>cracked weathered paint - without using an image-map (am I mad?). Obviously
>I'm going to need some form of layered texture. But where does one start?
>How do you choose the right colours?

"texture_map" gives you the most power for showing different
textures "on top" of each other. Here's a rusty pipe texture
that shows the technique you can start with; it's scaled for
a 0.5 unit diameter pipe. If you come up with some good ones,
share them with us!

-Mark Slone

#local IronPigment =
  pigment {
    wrinkles
    color_map {
      [0.0 rgb <0.05, 0.10, 0.15>]
      [0.7 rgb <0.10, 0.15, 0.20>]
      [1.0 rgb <0.15, 0.20, 0.30>]
               }
    scale 5
            }

#local IronTexture =
  texture {
    pigment { IronPigment }
    normal { granite 0.1  scale 2.0}
    finish { roughness  0.015  specular .5 }
           }

#local RustPigment =
  pigment {
    granite
    color_map {
      [ 0.0 rgb <0.8, 0.3, 0.1> ]
      [ 0.4 rgb <0.2, 0.1, 0.0> ]
      [ 0.6 rgb <0.2, 0.1, 0.0> ]
      [ 1.0 rgb <0.6, 0.1, 0.0> ]
               }
    scale .5
    turbulence 1
           }

#local RustTexture =
  texture {
    pigment { RustPigment }
    normal { wrinkles  scale 2 }
           }

#local RustyIronTexture =
  texture {
    bozo
    texture_map {
      [ 0.0 RustTexture ]
      [ 0.2 RustTexture ]  //  Rust
      [ 0.6 IronTexture ]  //  Iron
      [ 1.0 IronTexture ]
                 }
    warp { turbulence 1  omega .6  lambda 4 }
    scale <1,2,1>
           }