POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation : Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation Server Time
1 May 2024 06:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation
From: Włodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 3 Nov 2002 10:05:03
Message: <web.3dc5398c3d2ef546383743d0@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> As posted in p.g. i have now managed to compile POV-Ray 3.5 using the
> Cygwin environment and the '-mno-cygwin' flag for creating a version that
> does not depend on the cygwin emulation dll (equivalent to a MinGW
> version).

Have you finally tried this compilation becouse of me ? ;-)

> Another problem was the 'BLOB' type identifier that is also used in one of
> the windows header files.  Adding some things to 'config.h' helped but
> this required frame.h being the first included file in all modules.

I have solved this other way. I have added switch to patches.h include
#define AVOID_NAME_COLLISION_PATCH
and I will catch there all possible collisions with different compilators.
Then I used in sources when needed
#ifdef AVOID_NAME_COLLISION_PATCH
  POV_BLOB
#else
  BLOB
#endif

> And finally something really strange: the compiler complained about the
> 'rad2' element of the blob struct.  Changing its name to 'rad_2' in
> blob.cpp, blob.h and parse.cpp helped but i have no idea why.

I have changed it the same way. This is the same case as BLOB collision.
'rad2' is constant in one of MinGW files. Check MinGW includes for it.

> If you want to compile POV-Ray with Cygwin/MinGW yourself you need the
> Cygwin environment including the MinGW packages.  I don't know if the
> plain MinGW works as well but there could be tools missing required by the
> configure script etc.

For example there is no make included in latest MinGW 2.0 packages. Some
strange ommision reported on MinGW website.

ABX