POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Script Failure (Exit 11) : Re: POVRay Script Failure (Exit 11) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Script Failure (Exit 11)
From: emu
Date: 22 Sep 2002 10:30:05
Message: <web.3d8dd2d8c024674383d9545b0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>In article <3D7E15B2.BC810596[at]bbsrc.ac.uk> , Simon Andrews
><sim### [at] bbsrcacuk>  wrote:
>
>> What I've found is that povray, when called with *any* command line
>> switches (including +gafile), will silently die if the DISPLAY
>> environment variable is not set (which it isn't in a CGI script).  If I
>> manually set that variable to some arbitrary number (which isn't used),
>> then povray suddenly bursts back into life, and does all of its
>> processing as expected.  Interestingly povray will work without this
>> variable if you don't call it with any switches at all.

I've had the same problem with the linux version of povray 3.5. I either got
exit code 11 or a segmentation fault from povray, when I tried to run it as
a batch-job (executed by the at daemon).
Simply setting the DISPLAY variable to "0:0" (or some other display number)
in the script that runs povray works fine for me. There (usually) is no X
server running on that machine.