POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests : Re: Feature requests Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 16 Sep 2002 21:20:04
Message: <web.3d868219dc16a7ab18ccf4f70@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>Slime <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
>> I always thought bi-cubic interpolation was really just bi-linear
>> interpolation with the points interpolated between in a smoother manner.
>
>  AFAIK bicubic interpolation takes into account 16 pixels (instead of 4
>like bilinear interpolation does). It probably works a bit like the
>bicubic_patch surface.

I think I've managed to guess what the 16 pixels used for bicubic filtering
are (and the bilinear ones).

Bilinear

x*x

Bicubic

x x x
 xxx
xx*xx
 xxx
x x x

The '*' is the pixel being found and the 'x'es are reference pixels. The
outermost pixels are just control points to help align the curve. I _think_
this is correct, but if I am not, please correct me.

Rohan _e_ii