POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: Alex
Date: 13 Sep 2002 06:40:07
Message: <web.3d81bf83feedefd415e7f0160@news.povray.org>

>Have you actually ever tried using the 48 bit color output generated by
>POV-Ray?

Yes. It is perfectly fine, unless I want to generate an HDRI.

>And HDRI has nothing to do with environment mapping.

Yes it does. Go out and take a picture in the nearest park (use a pano cam),
digitalize the image, and use it as an environment for the illumination and
as an enviro map for those small reflections you want to appear on
<reflective surfaces> of that beautiful <thing> you modeled and you are
showcasing in a natural environment.

16-bit integer (or fixed-point, if you want) help a lot. Most of the time
are perfectly adequate, but you can't obtain a dynamic range as high as
with floats: granted, the larger is the range, the larger is the
quantization, but you can get away with it.
When and if POV-Ray mutates (either officially or unofficially) in a
spectral ray-tracer, precision in smaple output might become an issue...

If you aim to get a full range encoding, which accomodates most
requirements,
LogLuv encoding is even better (full range and full gamut).

Alex