POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HF not lighting properly? : HF not lighting properly? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  HF not lighting properly?
From: D  Stark
Date: 7 Aug 2002 11:00:10
Message: <web.3d5134ea37bb2ad9746942040@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a logo for a company. They gave me an EPS file and told me
they wanted part of it to rotate. Fine, I thought. I took the part that was
to be rotated (line art), converted it to a png, and extruded it as a
height_field. I also intersected the height field with a cube to "fill-in"
the back side (now it's not hollow). HOWEVER, when I rotate the object and
view it "on edge" (90 degree rotation), it appears black. Is there anything
I can do about this? I'd post an image of it in p.b.i, but the firewall
here is pretty Nazi, and the web version doesn't allow image posts. Here's
the code snippet, though. It should do the same with most any solid black
and white png. The object should be centered on <0,0,0> for easy viewing.

intersection{
  box { <-.5, -.5, -.5>, <.5, .5, .4>
    texture {pigment {color rgb <0,77/255,0>}}
  }
  height_field {
    png
    "logo.png"
    smooth
    water_level .005
    texture {pigment {color rgb <0,77/255,0>}}
    rotate x*-90
    translate <-.5,-.5,.5>
  }
  scale z*.5
  //rotate y*clock
  rotate y*270
}

Any ideas? I've tried more point lights, area lights, pretty much everything
but radiosity because I'll need this done some time this week.  : )

Thanks All,
Dirk

PS: should you wish to email me, yoink out the caps and the following dot.