POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format : Re: Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format
From: gilroy
Date: 1 Aug 2002 16:45:13
Message: <web.3d499d839feae74fb3f955780@news.povray.org>
[description of a POV-Ray binary format]

>What would be the use of such file?
>Among numerous ideas:
>- To give a model without revealing some tricks used to make it. So it still
>can be rendered with different point of view, lighting, etc.
>Of course, this format can be disassembled, but in "unrolled" format, ie.
>with only the raw list of generated objects, without the coding wizardry
>that could have been used to create it.

    I might be in the minority, but I feel this is actually a good reason
NOT to do it.  The POV-Ray community is the main reason for using POV-Ray,
in my mind; and I _like_ the fact that people share code as well as ideas.
I'm just an old-time coot, I suppose, but I liked the Net in 1994, when
everyone used transparent, standard HTML and you could "view source" on a
cool page and learn something.  And I've always liked that about POV-Ray,
too.

    I think the POVteam should avoid anything that encourages people to wrap
their coding in impenetrable layers.  I think they should avoid anything
that allows one to "give a model without revealing some tricks used to make
it".