POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 : Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95
Date: 16 Jun 1998 04:42:51
Message: <wblnqxivp0.fsf@tycho.intervett.no>
[William D. Hayden <wdh### [at] computeknet>]
| And a commercial, native compiler is even faster.  GCC is a known
| performance dog, but then it never claimed to produce fast code.

True. That's the price for being multiplatform I suppose.

| platforms.  I ALWAYS compile POV-Ray when I get it for my Solaris box.
| I noticed a 20-30% speed increase over their GCC compiled release.

Impressive. SUN makes the best platform for POV-Ray use, at least
that's my experience. IRIX boxes are strangely slow and can easilly be
beat by an INTEL at the same MHz.
I'd love to see a POV-Ray version with K6-2 3DNOW support. It should
really fly.

| Of course for Windows, I think they use Watcom, one of the better X86
| compilers.  If your comparing the Windows version versus a command line
| version, merly get Windows out of the way will help tremendously.

Actually, I compared the DOS protected mode-version to the one I
compiled. An unfair advantage to GCC, I know, but the dos-version
actually outperforms the Win95 version from the POV-Team. I've never
cared for the editor that goes with it. I use Emacs for my
scene-editor, and now that I have the unix-command line version I can
work in the same way no matter what platform I'm on.

| If you want to speed it up even more, pick up a Borland or Watcom compiler
| and recompile it again.

I'm considering it.

--

At the top of the food chain.