POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shoot a ray at a mesh : Re: Shoot a ray at a mesh Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shoot a ray at a mesh
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Jun 2008 17:20:50
Message: <vgaj44ttm01p9aahtugnph2q5gqamhe7ml@4ax.com>
On Fri,  6 Jun 2008 16:47:27 EDT, "daviddoria" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>I have a mesh (list of vertices - .obj type of file) that i would like to shoot
>a ray at from a particular point and see if it hits the mesh, and if it does,
>get the coordinates of the intersection.  Is this possible to do with pov ray?
>Can someone point me to an example that does something like this? Does pov ray
>have its own scripting language or will I have to dig through the source code
>to do this task?

Welcome Dave,
	What you want to do is possible. Look in the documentation for
trace, but be warned (gently) that this is an advanced feature. I am
sure someone better versed in Pov-Ray SDL can answer you better.
As for a scripting language you are in luck, Pov-Ray's scripting
language is called SDL, see the document section 3.2  Scene
Description Language and have a look at the tutorial 2.3.10  SDL
tutorial: A raytracer.
Are you using a modeller to create your scene? And if so it is a very
good idea to stop for a moment to become familiar with SDL.
--

Regards
     Stephen