POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Jan 2004 03:52:03
Message: <vcssc1-bq2.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> And I don't think this is misusing AA when aiming for blurred
> reflections. I think down scaled normals IS more like a real world
> approximation of blurred reflections. AA simply tries to outcome the
> resolution (and eye) limitations in that situation. Isn't that the
> purpose of AA?

No.  The problem with blurred reflection is not a resolution problem, if
it was you could render the scene at larger size (without aa) and get a
nice image.  Blurred reflections is about blur, i.e. averaging of color
values.  This is not unrealistic at all, in real life the averaging is
mostly matter of interference, diffraction, etc.

And aa is not designed to generate blur, it is meant to diminish
aliasing artefacts due to the discrete sampling of an image.  The effect
that it generates blur in your images is in fact only an unintended side
effect.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______