POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 Feb 2004 00:08:07
Message: <vEIDtDARDaMAFwfD@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Darren who wrote:

>Thanks for your private email, but you didn't give me an email address
>to reply to. :-)

To reply to one of my emails, just click [Reply].

> In any case, it's at
>http://home.san.rr.com/dnew/PovSource.zip

It's easy to see that it's not the classic difference bounding problem.
Temporarily globally replacing "difference" with "union" produces a
scene that only renders twice as fast. That's about what you'd expect if
the differences are efficiently bounded, the extra time is taken up by
the fact that some rays pass through windows and thus need additional
intersection tests to see if they hit any further objects.

I reckon that you're not going to get it to go much faster while having
248 shadow-casting light sources. Perhaps you could change many of the
lights to be shadowless.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure