POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 13:58:54
Message: <v9sm4053isopc42805rmkujcvogds4h60b@4ax.com>
On 7 Mar 2004 12:57:26 -0500, ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>in news:d1bm40hmv75jeiuj3cp3v1382aon91bpk9@4ax.com IMBJR wrote:
>
>> 2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth. Very good, since POV-Ray is
>> capable of producing 16-bit colour depth images. The downside is the
>> receiving machine's capabilites in regards to this, but at least the
>> 16-bit intent is preserved.
>
>Just wondering, what does Irfanview do to 6 bit jpeg200 images. Does it
>show it as a 16 bit image or does it downsample it? Most software does
>for 16 bit png's.

Wish I knew. I've never actually tested this. It would be a pity if
the majority downsampled. Dithering at least would be a more honest
attempt at rendering the intent of the format.

>In general, 16 bit images have their purposes, but i.m.o. showing images
>on monitors is not one of them. The main advantage of 16 bit images over
>8 bit images is the extended contrast range. A contrast range that a crt
>can't show and lcd / plasma screens are even worse in this regard.

I still maintain that they would help in reducing gradient-banding -
but that really does depend on the end viewer. At least the intent is
there though. If it is there then perhaps at a future date, the image
can be better viewed. Mind, this might not be a very good argument
because, let's face it, lossy compression is already throwing things
away.

>16 bit images are nice for photographic printing on slide material as
>they can show a bigger contrast range. 16 bit images are nice as an
>intermediate format between rendering and showing on screen as an 8 bit
>image. It gives you the possibility to control contrast a lot better by
>converting to 8 / 12 / whatever bit images using a controlable transfer
>function. In this regard, search for some of Kari Kivisalo's work on
>this newsserver.
>
>If the intent is preservation of the original, I would not use any lossy
>compression.

Indeed. I'm beginning to suspect that this might actually be the case.

>'Pushing' towards a "standard" or even a new format in these greedy
>times, knowing that there are patent issues i.m.o. is a folly of the
>jpeg committee.
>
>In general, I don't care in what format an image or animation is posted.
>If I can't see it, so be it.

I agree.

>Ingo

My First Subgenius Picture Book: