POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some aid in physics required... : Re: Some aid in physics required... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some aid in physics required...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Feb 2004 07:16:04
Message: <v7gug1-hr8.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

> What I don't get, to be honest, is why several people have speculated how it
> *should* be done, what's happening in the real world etc even though I was
> always talking about my particle system. My first post was along the lines
> of: My particle system does this and that, I want to overcome that with this
> and that, but don't seem to find the formula required for that.

See it a different way - you say you have a system simulating something
having next to nothing to do with real physics and now you want the
*correct* formula to calculate a certain effect in this system.  What
several people gave you was the formula for conservation of total system
energy which would be the point to start with when you do a *realistic*
simulation.  Now this naturally does not help you because you don't care
about the energy in your system but it should be obvious that your
question does not make much sense then - there is no correct formula.

> [...]  And even after I've described why the
> oscillations occur, I get responses like "gravity doesn't add energy", I
> mean, come one! It *does* add energy in my model,

You should understand that most people here when talking about gravity,
energy etc. are referring to what these terms mean in physics, not how
you use them in your simulation system.  In physics gravity in an
acceleration which - according to Newton - exerts a force on all masses
in the system.  Whether or not this results in a change of velocity (and
thereby in kinetic energy) depends on the environment.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______