POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Last Man On Earth : Re: The Last Man On Earth Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Last Man On Earth
From: john
Date: 2 Aug 2008 04:34:37
Message: <ur6894hpgbttl3pg3q9l6cpa3l0hn641mh@4ax.com>
On 30 Jul 2008 16:26:51 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom>
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:53:54 -0700, Bryan Valencia wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Bull.
>>>
>>> The agnostic is just saying "I don't know if there is a god or not".
>>>
>>> But who are you to judge?  Does not the bible state "judge not, lest ye
>>> be judged"?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> <soapbox>
>> Apologies for being so off-topic, but Matthew 7 is being abused here.
>> You should not quote Jesus Christ out of context like this.  Read the
>> passage in the context of the teaching.  I know non-Christians like to
>> whip this verse out whenever they want to do something immoral - just to
>> shut the Christians up, but Matthew 7 just can't be intelligently
>> interpreted to mean that.
>>
>> The verse doesn't advise use to tell each other not to "judge" us, it's
>> an admonition against feeling like we're "good" by comparing ourselves
>> to someone else.  The verse is about holding ourselves to God's standard
>> for us, it's not for unbelievers to stop all criticism from believers.
>> </soapbox>
>
>Of course, if I were to whip out my soapbox, I'd say something about it
>only being reasonable to quote things out of context when it's to
>*support* a Christian point of view; I've seen it *many* times over the
>years.
>
>What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
>
>Jim

The problem with this is that you will never convince someone who
belives in mythology.  You might just as well have tried to convince
an acient Greek, Roman or Viking that they were wrong. They all had
writings of some sort to "prove" that they were right