POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random question on a friday morning : Re: Random question on a friday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random question on a friday morning
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Dec 2008 06:37:12
Message: <uo1nk49455cf37i34l7lf706sfi8bvh0fr@4ax.com>
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:06:43 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
>> Use a small screwdriver as a stethoscope. Press the handle against the cartilage
>> in front of auditory canal, closing the ear and place the blade against the tape
>> drive at various places to see if you can identify where the noise is coming
>> from.
>
>*Clearly* you've done this a great many times before. ;-)

Just one of the tricks of the trade ;)

Another one is, we have heat receptors just below the lower lip that can
distinguish temperature differences better than our fingertips. Putting
components (close to) there can sometimes tell you if one is overheating.
In a similar vein, if you are in a building that is on fire (maybe you are
trying to rescue your mother's electric drill or you favourite Haskell book) and
your earlobes start to tingle. Then it is really time to get out.
--

Regards
     Stephen