POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 Jan 2001 05:07:29
Message: <ukdi6tgternmlo8nlog3juteop1gpvl31v@4ax.com>
On 19 Jan 2001 21:37:22 -0500, hoo### [at] hotmailcom (Hookflash)
wrote:

>I agree that the PovRay license is currently inadequate.

No it is not. A lot of the code in POV-Ray has been donated by
individuals for the sole purpose of being used in POV-Ray. Many of
them cannot be reached now (for example Pascal Massimino, author of
the julia code). Their copyrights have to be protected so the license
clearly states that a) you can tweak all you want at home and b) you
have to keep POV-Ray being POV-Ray, i.e. you can't just extract the
parser and plug it into your own tracer, for example.

>In fact, I think their whole software development philosophy is
>counter-productive...

An opinion which is wholly outweighed by the number of patches people
have been writing. Were it not for the numerous patch writers and
especially Ron Parker and Nathan Kopp, POV would have never reached
the heights that it now stands on. And it is because of the
availability of the source that all this is possible.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg