POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not for sale anymore (120 kbu) : Re: Not for sale anymore (120 kbu) - Not_4_Sale.jpg Server Time
17 May 2024 19:54:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not for sale anymore (120 kbu) - Not_4_Sale.jpg
From: Glen Berry
Date: 15 May 2002 16:32:21
Message: <ucTiPMwo=96gjozskjreLLKExrvk@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:34:32 +0200, "Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>The image was rendered with assumed_gamma = 1. The gamma and contrast were
>adjusted by post-processing. It could use more contrast actually. I couldn't
>get rid of that painterly look but it's not so bad after all.

Since you opened the topic of needing contrast, and trying to lose the
"painterly effect", I toyed with your image in Photoshop LE, for a
little while, trying to make it more photographic looking.

In my opinion, the rusty vehicle texture needs more color saturation.
This was one of the best tweaks I found for this image. Perhaps there
is too much radiosity, or too high of an ambient level specified in
the rust texture? I also selectively darkened the shadow tones on the
right side of the vehicle, without also darkening the highlights or
midtones.

The foreground has a subtle haze clouding it. I manipulated the darker
tones of the foreground to he slightly darker. This got rid of a lot
of the hazey look. I left the haze in the background, because it seems
appropriate there.

If there really is some sort of haze/fog/media/atmosphere type of
effect coded into the scene, it need to only be applied to the
background area beyond the tree. If there are no atmospheric effects
used in the scene file, then perhaps the ambient level/ radiosity
level needs to be reduced in the foreground? Perhaps your textures and
colors  need to be tweaked for a bit more color saturation in the
foreground?

All those haze comments are assuming that the scene was meant to have
a warm, late-afternoon sunlight effect, with somewhat warmer and
bolder colors and contrast.

I increased the color saturation of the blue and cyan tones in the
sky. Either try more saturated colors in your sky description, or
perhaps use a less hazey sky?

I also darkened the shadow areas of the tree leaves, increased the
color saturation of the green leaves, and brightened the highlights of
the green leaves.

This was just done in a few minutes in Photoshop LE, and is not
intended to be my best effort, but a simple exploration of what might
be tweaked.

I hope you appreciate the comments, and I hope you post more of your
excellent images to the newsgroup in the near future. I've been
missing your contributions here.

Later,
Glen Berry

Later,
Glen

7no### [at] ezwvcom     (Remove the numeral "7")

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Not_4_Sale.jpg' (121 KB)

Preview of image 'Not_4_Sale.jpg'