POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. : Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
From: Stephen
Date: 22 Jan 2008 07:04:22
Message: <ubmbp3h7fl5q1susa3mfgphmt3alnode3p@4ax.com>
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 07:47:47 -0500, Ian Burgmyer <spe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>>> I'm going to be dealing with a shared car situation the entire time I'm
>>> in Tampa.  So far it's been quite...uhh...let's just say this is the
>>> first time I've been without a car for an extended period of time since
>>> I was 16.
>>
>> It must make you feel poor.
>
>I wouldn't go that far but it has been quite an adjustment.

I forgot the smiley

>One nice thing about it is that it sort of gives me some company.  See,
>I dislike shopping alone in a lot of cases because I find it boring.
>When there's someone with me, it kind of balances me out a bit.  It's weird.

I often work in teams and a couple of years ago we went to Pittsburgh for a
project kick-off. Strange shopping with other people I hate shopping :).

>>> It probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't drive something
>>> like 1600 miles in the two weeks before I got here. :P
>>>
>>> Ah well, I'll live.
>>
>> I would have thought that you would welcome a rest :)
>
>Strangely, no.  I figured it would be a nice rest at first but I think
>it's a bit too extreme of a change.
>
>It's kinda like going from Ohio weather to Florida weather.  It feels
>like Spring or early Summer down here, when in the reality I'm right in
>the middle of Winter.  I love it. :D
>
>> Yup! And that is not counting the "congestion charge".
>
>Whaaaaaaaat? :(
>
>That doesn't sound cool at all...

Don't sleep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge
I heard that New York was thinking of trying it.
BTW I approve of it, travelling in London has improved since it was introduced
IMHO

>> I generally park in China
>> Town, where you can get half price parking if you are going to the theatre or
>> buy a meal in a supporting restaurant.
>
>Eh, it sure beats dishing out four quid per hour for parking.

That is for on street parking

>Now that I think about it, parking is dirt cheap in some areas of the
>US.  A couple of good friends of mine used to live in an apartment in
>Monaca, Pennsylvania (it's close-ish to Pittsburgh, if you know roughly
>where that is -- only about an hour drive from my parent's house) and
>the parking lot near them only cost a quarter per hour, only from
>8am-4pm, and only on weekdays.  Can't complain about a $2 parking fee
>for a whole day.

It is cheaper in most other towns and cities in the UK

Regards
	Stephen