POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request : Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request Server Time
21 May 2024 05:46:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request
From: Kyle
Date: 18 Jan 2008 07:29:16
Message: <u861p31e3s266ik3thusgvkuhj0qtrfqed@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:13:50 -0500, John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>One possibility is that you might want to consider modeling the paint as
>an object and not a texture.  Real paint has thickness, and the
>thickness of road paint is often very significant.

I did try that, but was not satisfied with the result.  I'm going for the old brick
road look, where the paint for the lines is usually only visible around the worn
sections on the top of the bricks.

>If you are making the bricks from a height field that is based on a
>pigment pattern, then you can slightly modify the pattern (with an
>average statement) to raise the value of it where the stripe is and
>lower it in other places; then use that modified height field to model
>the stripes.

Hmm, I may look into using a height field.  I think the resolution that it'd require
may be a little high, but I could possibly reduce the resolution as the road sections
get further away.  I'll have
to do some experimenting with that idea.  I've also considered writing a macro to
build the whole thing out of a mesh.

Thanks for your reply.