POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a few newbie questions : a few newbie questions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  a few newbie questions
From: Robert C  Corkum
Date: 31 Oct 2002 18:01:00
Message: <u1b3suovs4amcjfo5pp534osu2isk325lk@4ax.com>
now any refernces to where I can find answers or answers themselves
would be greatly appreciated.

first the preamble, I run moray, povray and gimp on an old clunker of
a pc, windows platform ( may be slow, but it works. :)

now I also like to use the pc for real life needs, for example. say I
am wanting to build something, like a piece of furniture. if I could
build a visual copy in povray/moray decide I like it then figure out
what i need from there would be great. Also its hard to describe
someone what your thinking about but if you can show them, where I can
zoom in, show it from a different angle etc... can figure out
solutions or problems without the cost of doing it in real life with
materials.

first technical question, now in moray, using the rounded cube plugin
I was trying to design a simple small table. now I chuckle perfect
example, sorry but this is why I'm trying to do it visually sometimes
hard to put into words without a detailed discussion.

now using rounded cubes, I made a csg object containing 3 rounded
cubes, the first being the largest the basic full cube which was the
table, the next two I was trying to carve out the middle of the table
on both the x and y axis so it would have a top and two curved legs (I
guess they would look like inverted handrails of a pomelhorse), using
the difference union, I THINK that is the term :). I just can not get
this as simple or as easy as I would like it. to have a anti-material?
I had to make the difference cubes if I remember black. Basically if I
could build what i need removed and when I use the difference or
addition it would basically where ever they merged the anti-material
would cause it to be removed. maybe I'm not using the difference
correctly. or describing it well.

second question, concerns more I don't want to redo something already
done. and with what I've seen on the irtc and povray news servers,
some amazing things have already been done, now what about
brick/siding/masonary/panelling macro? have any/none/some of these
been done? basically I thought of this, when I was trying to do a
rough visual of the home for some look at some remodelling and thought
well must be an easier way to do siding instead of drawing many
repeated panels.

third question is releated to over all use, measurement. now is there
way say I use a special curve on a piece of furniture I am modelling.
and I'm trying to fit it into a standard piece of wood in real life or
seeing my real life requirements. anyway to box it in easily and get a
measurement based on a determined scale?

thanks for your time and any responces, and may your renders be fast
:)

Rob