POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 8 Mar 2004 16:55:47
Message: <ttop40d82d4j7k29msodrklpq3mjom2a5k@4ax.com>
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:04:11 -0600, "Mike Raiford"
<mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>"IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> spewed forth:
>
>> Keep the fuck up. Did I not say elsewhere that if I wanted comments I
>> would ask for them? I post them because I have something to post. This
>> is a POV-Ray newserver is it not? I wish to let people look at my work
>> if they so wish, I don't expect or require comments.
>
>Then why waste the POV-Team's webspace with your images? You have your own

This is a newserver not a web server. Dear me, if this is how you
start your rant you've already lost major respect-possibilities.

>website, place your images there until your face turns blue.

I did not realise that the use of an FTP server made one's face go
blue. Can you demonstrate this for me?

>Honestly, my feelings are this:

"Honestly" - the hallmark of a liar.

>1) You're being rude, and you continue to be rude on these groups,
>disrespecting every single indvidual on here. You're a self-centered
>foul-mouth twit.

You know full well why I am rude. I have numerous (now) of my images
adulterated by rude people. I also notice I am not the only person who
get's rude treatment here. Read the following:

-- quote begins

In article <404b0fa5@news.povray.org> , "Ian Shumsky"
<ian### [at] outerarmdemoncouk> wrote:

> I've been lucky enough to get hold of a second flat-panel LCD monitor for my
> PC, but the colour profile is quite different from my main monitor. Does
> anyone have any recommendations for getting them to match?

You have to calibrate both, isn't that obvious?  The simplest way is
to use
whatever tool came with your graphics card or (if it was expensive)
LCD
display to do gamma correction.  That will get you somewhat close.
However,
for proper calibration you will need to rent (or buy, with serious
ones
starting not below US$200) an external calibration device.  It will
build a
color profile of your display, and then you of course need a graphics
card
(or display, if it was expensive) to make use of that calibration
data.

    Thorsten

-- quote ends

That first line just smacks of sheer rudeness. It's not obvious to
some so try being a bit more generous in tone. What follows after that
is some ridulous fob off with reference to some expensive equipment.

>2) JPEG2000 may very well be a better JPEG, obviously very few companies and
>individuals have adopted this format. People are having difficulties viewing
>the images.

No, only the lazy ones and the unfortunate that have wandered into an
unsupported format ghetto.

>3) Someone, in a misguided act of kindness decided to post your image in JPG
>format so everyone can see it, since this is what you wanted, then why whine
>about it so much?

Because it was and is an extremely rude thing to do. No permission was
given to have this done. People are wasting even more HD by posting
inflated badly-artifacted replicas of my work. They are ruining them
in effect.

>Contrary to what you might believe, you might be wrong sometiems, and other
>people may actually be right.

Well, duh. I've already come to the conclusion that the 16-bit aspect
of this is probably a non-starter.

> This is not a question of whose opinion is
>valid, but more of a question of what would be the proper thing to do?

The proper thing to do is let me post what I like within the
guidelines. If necessary I will explain viewing solutions to those who
reply that they cannot see the image. But more realistically, the FAQ
perhaps needs updating to mention JPEG2000.

The improper thing to do is repost my butchered work.

>BTW, in p.b.a I posted an animation that no one seemed to be able to view, I
>promptly followed up with one that was viewable by the majority. I didn't
>start an argument, I didn't jump down anyone's throat, I corrected the
>problem. Of course, people like you can do no wrong.. so I don't expect you
>to understand how one can corrct one's on mistakes.

Was it actually a problem or was it more as per here, a new format? If
it was a problem then your comparison is void.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com