POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling the Earth's shape : Re: Modelling the Earth's shape Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling the Earth's shape
From: Jellby
Date: 6 Apr 2009 11:40:07
Message: <trjpa6-8ub.ln1@badulaque.unex.es>
Among other things, Chris B saw fit to write:

> It's a bit convoluted, so there may be a better way but:
>
> You could use a tiff as an image_map in a pigment. So with map_type 1 you
> get a spherical pigment and can use it in a function.
> Combining that function and a sphere function in an Isosurface you should
> be able to get what you want. You could parameterise it and make it pulse
> or add other functions to make it wiggle etc.

I did that already, but with a 16-bit PGM instead of tiff, as I said in my
first message. The drawback is that since it is an isosurface it is very
slow. Building a mesh from the data would be better, but at the resolution
I need/want the macros/parsing don't seem to work fine (but I guess I have
enough memory, I can use the image_map after all, and there are 2GB in the
machine).

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x