POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calculating a plane through a bunch of points : Re: Calculating a plane through a bunch of points Server Time
8 Jul 2024 15:34:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating a plane through a bunch of points
From: Jellby
Date: 12 Oct 2014 04:08:22
Message: <tkopgb-4mo.ln1@meles.unex.es>
On 11/10/14, at 18:18, Ger wrote:

> I have a set of points, 2 rows side by side of 5 points each. The x and z values are
set in a grid pattern, the y-values vary. I would like to calculate a plane that
averages all
> points in such a way that some points will be above the plane and some will be below
it. The plane itself needs to tilt on the x and z axis in such a way that it gets as
close as
> possible to all points. So it's not going to be a simple plane{ y, 0 translate y *
shiftvalue}

Does this help?
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/99299/best-fitting-plane-given-a-set-of-points

The problem now is how to do a SVD in POV-Ray. Or, if you don't need to
do it within POV-Ray: http://www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator/

--

             / /\
Linux user / /  \