POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e : Re: Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:49:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e
From: Jellby
Date: 8 Jul 2015 14:08:03
Message: <tg307c-g5s.ln1@meles.unex.es>
On 08/07/15, at 10:14, Stephen wrote:
>>> Was there ever a craze for drinking wine using a porron, in the
>>> Netherlands?
>>> There was one in the UK when cheap flights to Spain became available in
>>> the 60s/70s (no apostrophe)
>>>

>> I am not sure. I do not really remember but I suppose there was, at
>> least in some Spanish restaurants which started round that time. I did
>> fieldwork in South Spain in the early 70s, but they were not in use in
>> the rural areas where I dwelt.
>
> They are from Catalan. And seas of them came back from the Costa Blanca
> with the first wave of tourists.

In southern (or the whole) Spain you should find the botijo:

http://www.botijopedia.com/en/index.php

and I'd say they would have been much more common in rural areas, and in
the 70's than they are now. Botijos are made of clay and used for water
(which they cool).

The porrón (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porron), typically made of
glass, is used for wine, and it's indeed more typical of north-east.

Another related device is the bota
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bota_bag), which is made of leather and
used for wine.

PS. Sorry, Stephen, for the duplicate email reply.

--
      Ignacio __ Fernández Galván
             / /\