POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : keyring background : Re: keyring background Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: keyring background
From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 Mar 2002 15:06:51
Message: <tSl8bEAIQJl8Ew1t@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jan Walzer who wrote:
>>   However, one algorithm can compress in *average* better than another.

>define "average" ... as you probably know, there are different kind of
>messurements ...
>
>If you think about the standard [ (x1+x2+x3)/3 ] average, then I wouldn't
>swear on this for an infinite set of sources to compress ...
>
>Maybe it _CAN_ be true for a countable, closed set ...
>(as for all possible images, where it could be computable) but I'm still not
>sure 'bout this ...

For lossless compression, there are good reasons for believing that the
*overall* average compression should be none whatsoever.

Suppose we compressed all possible images of a given size and colour
depth losslessly. The number of different images would be
height*depth*colour-depth. If our compression is lossless, it must give
a different compressed result for each of the input image files, i.e.
height*depth*colour-depth different compressed files. For these output
files to all be different, their average length would need to be
height*depth*colour-depth bits - which is what we started with.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure