POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface hills : Re: Isosurface hills Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface hills
From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Mar 2000 23:48:30
Message: <tNoMMDA4RW04Ew8c@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Lummox JR who wrote:
>I'm hoping to make an image which will mostly be a series of grassy
>hills in the rain. I've got the clouds, I think, and the rain's a task
>I'm willing to take a shot at. Grass will be a nightmare of its own and
>obviously a lot of fudging is required. I've started working with the
>hills, but that's where I've run into the first problems.
>I really don't want to generate any height maps for this one. My
>preference is to use an isosurface (I'm using the Superpatch) with a
>kind of hilly function. I thought of multipying a couple of sine waves
>together, but the results on that have so far been pretty terrible.

Rather than using sin waves, you might find it better to start with an
isosurface of the y plane [ function {abs(y)} ] and then add some random
hilly bumps by subtracting a noise function or a pigment function, like

    function { abs(y) - noise3d(x,0,z)*0.5 }

It's possible to add a suggestion of ground cover (unfortunately, not
particularly grassy) foliage by subtracting another noise or pigment
function at a much smaller scale, like

    function { abs(y) - noise3d(x,0,z)
               -noise3d(x*100,0,z*100)*0.02
             }