POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Poser 5 : Re: Poser 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser 5
From: Mike Williams
Date: 14 Jan 2004 00:06:43
Message: <t7nYhAAnsMBAFw1a@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dan P who wrote:
>"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
>news:In1### [at] econymdemoncouk...
>>
>> That's not bad at the price, considering how much work goes into
>> building clothes models from scratch.
>
>Yeah, I'm still trying to master that. Not liking the Poser manual either.
>When I finally figure this stuff out, I'm going to write my own tutorial to
>set this thing straight.

Good luck. I reckon that the Poser manual is pretty good at covering a
difficult subject, but if you can do better then I look forward to it.

Obviously, the manual omits details of techniques that illegally
"borrow" the geometry of proprietary figure models to use as the basis
for clothes models.

>> You can tweak any of the clothing items by changing the textures, using
>> transparency maps to cut bits away, scaling parts of the clothing, using
>> deformation maps, applying magnets, etc.
>
>Sure, but does this work with specular highlights as well, or do those just
>come out looking like clear plastic?

P5 allows complete invisibility.

In Poser-4 transparent objects with specularity looked like clear
plastic, because you couldn't create a specularity map. Poser-5 has a
fully functional node-based shader system, so you can simply create a
link from Specular_Value to the image_map node you're using for
transparency to use it as a specularity map, and the clear plastic bits
will become completely invisible.

If your clothes use Reflection, Refraction, Alternate_diffuse or
Alternate_Specular then you'll need to use the same method to switch
those features off in the transparent region.

When you import the mesh into POV-Ray, you need to ensure that there's
no specularity in that half of the texture_map. (Works with Poser-4 as
well as Poser-5).

 pigment_pattern {image_map {jpeg "transmap.jpg" interpolate 2}}
  texture_map {
     [0 texture {pigment {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}}]
     [1 texture {My_Specular_Texture}]
  }