POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray : Re: Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with rendering udo models from Poseray
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 29 Jun 2005 02:52:43
Message: <t0h4c1dmn33dd84d9pmuk2k0qhi7ua8m6b@4ax.com>
Hi Hildur K., you recently wrote in moray.win:

> So this particular udo object is really a mesh2 object!
>
> But this doesn't completely answer my original quesion, on the contrary it
> makes it more curious. Why does a udo referring to a mesh2 object generate
> artefacts while Morays own mesh2 does not?

So, as you probably realise by now, the UDO file simply contains the
mesh representation that Moray should display in order to allow you to
manipulate the object. What you see in Moray is in NO WAY exported to
or renderered by POV-Ray. Moray simply exports an include statement
that makes POV-Ray read and render the .inc file that your conversion
process created.

If you can avoid UDO/INC, you would probably get better results in
Moray. I think that 3DWin will create a mesh2 object with correct
textures, although I'm not sure, I haven't used it in some time.

BTW, texturing a subdivided mesh is a bit buggy, the seams tend to
land in weird/uncontrollable places. But here's a tip: when you have
the mesh object in Moray, set the subdiv setting to 1 and then convert
it to mesh again. This now makes the subdivided mesh a regular mesh
object (i.e. level 0). Now it can be accurately UV mapped.

- Lutz
- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray