POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is scary stuff : Re: This is scary stuff Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is scary stuff
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Dec 2007 17:32:31
Message: <sv98n31904sg5u9j66dqjuk9iuftbo7v0u@4ax.com>
On 27 Dec 2007 16:11:56 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I think trying to kill racism by creating totalitarian censorship laws
>is also wishful thinking. It's more like trying to sweep the problem under
>the carpet, out of sight (and probably unsuccessfully even at that).

I used to have the opinion that you can't change human nature by passing laws.
For a start if the government does not try to stop, say, racism then it is
giving tact agreement that it is ok and we've seen where that leads.
If you can remember before drink driving laws were introduced. It was considered
ok to drink and drive if you did not have an accident. In the UK, in my youth,
it was normal for parents to beat there children in public now I never see it.
In Canada the instances of spouse abuse dropped dramatically when every case was
prosecuted whether the victim agreed or not.
I think that if people grow up knowing something is wrong then they will accept
that it is wrong, at least for other people.
And as an aside. One definition of totalitarian is someone doing something you
don't agree with.

Regards
	Stephen