POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 3 Jun 2003 14:24:42
Message: <spppdv8cp7j6r6thnm11boc1rnservo7he@4ax.com>
Hi ingo, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> wonder, does it mean building a CSG from POV-Ray primitives and then
> tesselate it,
Well, you can't really do that.... I mean, what would you build?

> or tesselate the "POV-Ray primitives" to a certain level and
> then do the CSG (as I saw it in a very old version of 3D-studio)?
Yes, this is how you do it. You have to do CSG on triangle meshes and
that just gets very ugly. It is doable, Moray does this. But the
result is not pretty. If (in Moray) you've ever evaluated a CSG and
then converted it to mesh and went to edit that mesh, you'll know what
I mean.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray