POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.5... Why??? : Re: POV 3.5... Why??? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.5... Why???
From: Peter Popov
Date: 9 Aug 2000 17:29:04
Message: <spi3ps0c5toct420itgbd6l1jj9tc4fiqr@4ax.com>
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:11:41 +0200, "Zeger Knaepen"
<zeg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Why, exactly do we need a POV 3.5?  I mean: we have MegaPov(Plus) already!

MegaPOV will always be a step ahead of the official version. However,
the need for 3.5 is basically a need to finalize and declare official
a subset of MegaPOV's features.

>Let the POV-team put their time into POV4.0!

4.0 is a a really, really big project. Before having the engine
rewritten from scratch it would seem logical to have that engine in
the first place. See below.

>POV3.5 probably won't be better than MegaPov anyway...

Maybe not in terms of features, but it will hopefully be a step ahead
regarding stability, compatibility, extensibility, maybe even ease of
use (macros, isos...) etc.

Please note that I am not speaking for the Team (how could I?).

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet